Our Services:

  • Probate Administration
  • Small Estate Affidavits
  • Trust Administration
  • Advocate Rights of Omitted Spouse or Children


The probate process is how the court handles the administration of the estate of someone that has passed away. The court appoints a personal representative to administer the estate, meet deadlines, deal with creditors, and correspond with heirs and beneficiaries. Many times a Will names a close family member or friend as the personal representative, but if there is no Will, the court usually appoints a spouse, child, or other family member or friend.

Unfortunately, this all takes place during the months following the death of a loved one, making an unfamiliar process that much harder.  At Myers Harbor Law, we can help guide you through the process of being a personal representative. An attorney can complete documents and court filings on your behalf, while guiding you through the steps that need to be taken, and make sure that during this period of grief your burden of administration is lightened and you don’t miss a step that can cause frustration later.

What is probate and is it necessary?

Probate proceedings provide a way for a decedent’s (a person who has passed away) property to be transferred while looking out for the interests of beneficiaries, creditors, and heirs.  While not every estate must be probated, this process can occur whether there is a Will or not, and certain rules must be followed.

When someone passes away, the person in custody of the Will must file the Will with the appropriate court or deliver it to the personal representative within a short period of time.  Probate can be a lot to take on when dealing with the recent death of a loved one, and an attorney can help alleviate some of the stress and work involved.

If you’ve been appointed personal representative of an estate and want an attorney to take care of the matter, or you just want a little help along the way, we can help. If you have questions after a loved one passes away, give us a call at (253) 514-9448 and we can help determine whether probate is required and guide you along the way.